Safety Helmet Reminder
SHPD reminds all residents and visitors that New Jersey law requires all cyclists, skaters, and skateboards under the age of 17 to wear properly fitted safety helmets.
Specifically all children under the age of 17 must wear a helmet for the following activities.
- Riding as a passenger
- Being towed as a passenger on a bicycle
- When using roller skates, inline skates (rollerblades), and skateboards.
All helmets must be properly fitted and fastened. Bicycle helmets must also meet federal standard developed by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) effective March 10, 1999.
Basic Cycling Safety Tips
- Always wear a helmet
- Observe all traffic laws, stop signs, and traffic lights
- Go-With-The-Flow, ride on the right side of the road
- Wear bright colored clothing to make yourself more visible
- Use caution at intersections; walk your bike across busy intersections
- Avoid riding at night
For more safety tips please refer to the NJ Department of Transportation's Bicycle 101 Safety Basics.