From the Office of Emergency Management: Sustained Water Damage Notice

If your electric panel in your home was submerged or sustained water damage in flooding and you have power, we strongly encourage you to consult an electrician. If you do not have power, please contact PSE&G. PSE&G is responsible for replacing or repairing the service wire coming from the street to the point of connection on the customer’s home along with the electric meter if it was damaged. If there is any damage to the electrical panel and/or the wiring inside your home, please contact an electrician as this is the homeowner’s responsibility. Once the work is complete, contact your municipality for an inspection before PSE&G can restore services.